Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Storage & Archiving ADTX array support – help?

• ADTX array support – help?

• Francois Stark

July 4, 2008 at 10:45 am

Hi Bart and other SAN boffins…

What happened to ADTX? Can we still get spares for the ADTX ArrayMassStor LH series arrays?

I see Berkeley communications are selling these arrays used, filled with 15 x 250GB drives for $13700 each in ebay. They won’t get many takers at that price… A brand new promise array with 15 x 750GB drives and four 4GB fibre channel ports costs $15000.

We have one LH array with 400GB drives, and the secondary controller failed last night. I switched over to the primary controller and we are up and running again, but skating on thin ice. We need to purchase a controller board for redundancy. Up to now the array had been running very reliably.

Who supports ADTX arrays now? I can’t seem to find any info on that.

Thanks
    Francois Stark
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

• Francois Stark

July 7, 2008 at 6:35 pm

According to this, ADTX was ranked number 1 ATA/SATA Storage Market in terms of terabytes shipped and in revenue for 2003 and 2004 in Japan.

And according to this annual report of Ciprico, they were a reseller of the ADTX ArrayMasStor range in the USA since August 2004.

Why is it then so hard to get any support on these products?
    Did ADTX fail so miserably? C’mon Bob, even you should have some sarcastic comeback on this one… Maybe I’m touching a nerve somewhere.

Thanks
    Francois

• Bob Zelin

July 8, 2008 at 2:36 am

Why Francois? – you know why – it’s ALWAYS the same answer. Huge Systems(Ciprico) and ADTX were great companies. You know why they failed (Ciprico is still in business, but in trouble) – you know why – THEY CHARGED TOO MUCH MONEY. Just look to your left and right on this forum page. Look at Cal Digit, Dulce, G-Tech, Maxx Digital, Sonnet – you know what they all have in common, that is the OPPOSITE of ADTX and Ciprico – they all make products that cost LESS MONEY than ADTX or Ciprico. EXPENSIVE DRIVE MANUFACTURERS WILL FAIL – end of story. These have become commodity items. I don’t have clients that will spend $15,000 for a drive array – even if gives you a back massage while you edit. I have no idea of how Promise will sell the VTrak for $15,000 when Cal Digit, Dulce, G-Tech, Maxx Digital and Sonnet (and others) all charge about half this amount, for the SAME performance. Do you think that Apple’s “approval” means anything – it DOESNT – that is why you dont’ see a lot of Apple XServe RAID’s around (I know that it’s outdated now) -but it was TOO MUCH MONEY.

Anyone that comes onto these forums is looking for COST EFFECTIVE products. You spent a lot of $$$ for a great ADTX SCSI or Fibre array – well, it’s OVER – just like the Apple XServe RAID.

Any company that intends to stay in business in our market better watch their price point. I don’t have the luxury of clients that can afford an AVID Unity SAN system, just like I don’t have friends that drive Ferrari’s and Lamborghini automobiles (but I wish I did).
    There is a limited market for super hi end products (like ADTX), and most of the consumers out there would rather put that money towards their BMW or Mercedes, than a silly disk drive array.

simple –

Bob Zelin

• Francois Stark

July 8, 2008 at 9:40 am

Thanks for that, Bob. I knew you wouldn’t let me down…

It seems that I may be lucky. Still investigating. Will let you know as soon as I have the facts.

Regards
    Francois

• Howard Solomon

July 9, 2008 at 12:14 am

Hi Francois,

Sone of the former people from ADTX in the USA offer inventory and services for ADTX. Here’s their information.

Telecomputer USA, LLC
    22622 Lambert Street, Suite 306
    Lake Forest, CA 92630
    Tel: (949) 583 2993
    The company is run by Naresh Chadha, former president of ADTX USA.

Let him know I sent you. Good luck.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Howard

Howard Solomon
    631-479-2401
    hs@integrityds.net

• Francois Stark

July 9, 2008 at 7:54 am

Hi Howard

Thanks for the info. I also found that Ciprico is selling old ADTX stock, with a three year guarantee, in my part of the world. They keep support spares as well.

Thanks
    Francois

• Jeff Bernstein

July 11, 2008 at 5:50 am

Actually, the reason ADTX failed was because it was infiltrated by the Japanese mob. As a result, its assets and cash were stolen. By the time the cops caught up to the criminals, the company was broke and could not pay its bills.

If you Google it, you will find that this made headlines in Japan. Very sad. They really had great gear but terrible management.

Jeff Bernstein

Digital Desktop Consulting
    Apple Pro Video VAR
    XSAN Certified
    MetaSAN Master Reseller

323-653-7611

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy