Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems ADAT optical audio not working

• ADAT optical audio not working

mactrix updated 16 years ago 4 Members · 5 Posts
  • Steve Wilson

April 5, 2005 at 2:52 pm

I am trying to capture audio directly from a DVD deck through the ADAT optical port to FCP 4.5. My video is connected in through S-video. I have not been able to receive audio, but when I switch to my analog 2-channel connectors, I can receive audio fine.

Thanks for any help. I also posted about a video output problem if anyone can help there also.

• Tom Volotta

April 6, 2005 at 1:43 am

Even though the optical cable and connectors appear similar, the DVD player is outputting a S/PDIF Toslink format, which is not the same or compatible with ADAT.

The original documentation for the AJA Io indicated both S/PDIF and ADAT could run through that optical port, however that apparently was a feature AJA intended for the future. Maybe at NAB in a couple weeks?

…Tom

• Guy

April 6, 2005 at 4:30 am

It’s possible to digitize through the G5’s optical input by making a new capture preset and changing it’s audio settings to optical input.

• Tom Volotta

April 6, 2005 at 4:35 pm

Yes, that’s a good solution for the G5. Just need a Toslink to Miniplug S/PDIF optical cable, or a Toslink to Mini Optical Adapter for the Toslink cable.

My AJA Io is still hooked to a G4 DP 1.25 MDD, so I’ve been using an EZBus digital mixer/interface to connect with the AJA Io via ADAT. Lots of flexibility on the mixer side, plus a very clean in and out with the Io.

The EZBus also interfaces with the Mac via USB, so that path is also available for use with FCP or other applications. Several other mixers and DAWs can also do this, some with FireWire. None interface directly with FCP, but maybe the speculation that Apple would come out with such a device, or at least allow developers to access the necessary code to enable their products to work with FCP will yield something at NAB.

…Tom

• mactrix

April 10, 2005 at 12:35 pm

Your DVD-Player must set to play back PCM-Audio
    trough the digital outputs. 5.1 won’t work with the
    AJA Io or the G5 optical input.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy