Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy 42 min clip in quicktime is only 16 min in FCP

• 42 min clip in quicktime is only 16 min in FCP

Posted by Mark Morache on July 13, 2009 at 2:10 am

Where’s the rest of my clip?

In FCP I digitized a dv tape, 42 minutes, but in the FCP bin it only shows 16 minutes. I open the clip in the viewer and it’s 16 minutes. I go to the finder and open the clip in QT, the entire 42 minutes is there, but in FCP it’s only 16 minutes, truncating the final 26 minutes and making it unavailable.

I’m sure it revolves around timecode breaks. Is there any way to force FCP to recognize the 42 minute clip it ingested?

I supposed I can export the clip in quicktime, then import this new clip, thus eliminating the timecode. That seems like a waste of time and drivespace since the media is there. I like having the actual timecode incase I need to re-ingest the media.

I suppose I could reingest the video, using the non-controllable device setting, so there’s no timecode, but the media is on the drive, and I really don’t want to waste the time.

Anyone run across this?

Thanks.

–> Mark Morache

Jeremy Doyle replied 14 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Nick Meyers

July 13, 2009 at 6:11 am

i’ve never had that happen to me.

what happens if you drag the 42min file into FCP again?

nick

• Mark Morache

July 13, 2009 at 11:45 am

Same thing. Short clip.

I tried opening the clip in quicktime and using “save as”, selecting the reference movie instead of exporting a self contained clip.

I imported this reference clip and it showed the entire length of the file, however, the audio became out of sync after the break.

Arrrgh.

I’m afraid I’ll be forced to redigitize the media without the timecode.

There’s gotta be a better way to handle a clip with a timecode break.

———
    Mark Morache
    Evening Magazine
    Seattle, WA

• Tom Brooks

July 13, 2009 at 11:54 am

Could it be a scratch disk problem? Is your scratch disk formatted as Mac OS Extended as it should be?

• David Bogie

July 13, 2009 at 3:28 pm

[Mark Morache] “There’s gotta be a better way to handle a clip with a timecode break. “

There is but it’s based on figuring out what’s wrong. Could be a head alignment issue on your camera, a mismatch between the heads on your camera and your playback deck, bad tape. Drifting audio is not possible with conventional DV. You’re not shooting with a Canon are you?

One answer: Capture manually using non-controllable device.
    Another answer: make a dub of your tape and capture form the dub.

bogiesan

• David Roth weiss

July 13, 2009 at 3:40 pm

[david bogie] “One answer: Capture manually using non-controllable device.
    Another answer: make a dub of your tape and capture form the dub. “

Also, Streamclip has a “Fix Timecode” function that may or may not work with ordinary Quicktime files. You may want to check it out.

David Roth Weiss
    Director/Editor
    David Weiss Productions, Inc.
    Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW’s Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

• Mark Morache

July 13, 2009 at 3:51 pm

No, that’s not the problem. I’m pretty sure it has to do with some timecode breaks.

Again, I can run through the entire clip in quicktime, but bring it into FCP and it’s truncated. This happened with two different clips.

Frustrating.

———
    Mark Morache
    Evening Magazine
    Seattle, WA

• Jeremy Doyle

July 13, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I had this happen to me once before. What happened in my case was using a quicktime version that was too new for my version of FCP. Once I upgraded my FCP everything worked fine.

This won’t help you if all your stuff is current however.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy