Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums DaVinci Resolve 2020 27” iMac: 8-core vs 10-core for Resolve?

• 2020 27” iMac: 8-core vs 10-core for Resolve?

Andy Ford updated 1 week, 3 days ago 5 Members · 10 Posts
  • Matteo Proromo

September 11, 2020 at 10:19 pm

Hello,
    I’ve only seen online comparisons of models of the new 2020 27” iMac with several different components in them (different RAM storages, different graphics, etc.) and not with just the two high-end CPU’s options alone (an i7 8-core CPU and an i9 10-core CPU), so, when it comes to evaluating the actual speed and efficiency of two identical 27” iMac’s with just the CPU’s different to each other, I’m having a hard time deciding which CPU do I really need to work in Davinci Resolve, because I wonder if those seconds or minutes that I see in these comparisons being reduced using the 10-core CPU partly depend on the more powerful GPU or something completely different.
    I use Resolve almost exclusively for the Edit and Color tabs and I do some minor adjustment in Fusion – maybe some text, maybe some basic sky replacement. I use the noise reduction feature of Color all the time and I work with UHD 60fps BRAW files. I need to work in UHD timelines not to lose details when color grading.
    Would an i9 10-core CPU make any difference over an i7 8-core if everything else is the same (I plan to insert 64 GB of RAM and choose the Radeon Pro RX 5700 XT with 16 GB VRAM)? Especially: would that difference justify 505 euros (596,64 dollars) more?

• Michael Gissing

September 11, 2020 at 10:57 pm

I left the Mac world years ago so I don’t know the answer to this question but my understanding of Resolve is that for performance and render speed it is GPU dependent mostly. Personally I prefer a PC with a form factor that lets me upgrade GPU so I can take advantage of that without buying a new computer every two years. iMacs seem like totally the wrong form factor for Resolve to me but that’s just my opinion.

• Matteo Proromo

September 11, 2020 at 11:09 pm

I’m not here to discuss Apple, its philosophy, how and why Macs are made, etc. I’ll just say that I would love to love Windows and I love how customizable it is, but the optimization that Apple can give to its computers (given that they’re obviousy a minuscule amount compared to Windows computers) and just how well and fast and fluid they perform compared to Windows is not debatable in my opinion.
    I’ve been trying to switch to Windows for the latest year and it has been a total nightmare. A nightmare apparently stuck in 1992, I might add.
    I don’t know what to do with a “powerful” 32-core CPU and a super Quadro Nvidia card if the OS system per se is a buggy mess, then I need to manually look which drivers to update, then there’s an incompatibility with some components but the computer isn’t able to tell me, then I have to call several customer services, etc. etc.

• Michael Gissing

September 12, 2020 at 1:09 am

If you want to use Macs then there is no debate. Your question was about the relative advantage of CPUs. My response was to point out GPU is the main game.

Your observations about Windows is also pointless debating too as you clearly have a bias that few here share. Resolve is also Linux compatible.

The ability to update GPU and other components during the life cycle of a computer is however relevant. MacPro offers a much better option in the Apple world. Overpriced? Perhaps.

• Matteo Proromo

September 12, 2020 at 9:09 am

I won’t buy a Linux machine and I won’t buy a Mac Pro, but thank you, Michael: your opinion has been acknowledged.

Thank you for replying to the main issue, too. That response was useful.

• Dean Baker

September 12, 2020 at 10:57 am

These guys do a lot of builds and performance benchmarks for Resolve and have some good articles that may help you decide which CPU to go for.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-DaVinci-Resolve-187/Hardware-Recommendations

• Matteo Proromo

September 12, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Thanks!
    Yes, I know Puget Systems and I had seen their website, although I still wonder if someone can help me for my specific issue. 🙂

• Tom Watson

September 12, 2020 at 7:27 pm

In my 14 core system which is not Apple, I made one change that should also apply to Apple systems, I went form 16 GB of Ram to 128 GB of Ram. There was a world of difference when when editing 4K LOG footage in the timeline for HDR output. No matter what your system, go for as much RAM as possible is my advice. Otherwise, if your choice is between GPUs, since Resolve does almost everything in the GPU, go for the one with the best GPU.

• Matteo Proromo

September 13, 2020 at 10:52 am

Thanks for the recommendation, Tom! I was thinking about buying 64 GB of RAM. Would you deem that to be at least enough?

• Andy Ford

September 13, 2020 at 3:53 pm

128GB makes a world of difference in most of the programs you’ll use. Buy third party and you’ll get 128GB for a price that will pay you back quickly in efficiency.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can. Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy