Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro 2013 Mac Pro and Premiere’s Metal acceleration

• 2013 Mac Pro and Premiere’s Metal acceleration

• Chris Heuer

January 19, 2021 at 2:02 pm

Dave Helmly’s recent article about Premiere Pro performance talks about Apples Metal acceleration giving the best GPU performance on Macs. A while ago, I read the 2013 “Trashcan” Mac Pros actually performed worse on Metal. Is this true or has something changed recently?

• Todd Perchert

January 19, 2021 at 8:14 pm

Are you saying they perform worse when using Metal rather than software only? Hasn’t been my experience with a trash can and metal on my work Mac. I think performance is better than my PC (been working mostly at home on my personal PC for nearly a year now). My PC should have a slight edge based on cpu and gpu installed. The 2013 Mac Pro has been a workhorse for me with UHD ProRes, 4k h264, and other HD files mixed in projects. Even though I really have no preference between PC or Mac, I’m actually kind of missing my mac. But, yeah, never had any issue with metal and the Mac Pro.

• Chris Heuer

January 19, 2021 at 8:22 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I don’t recall where, but I had read that the Metal setting was actually worse than the Depreciated setting. I’ll try switching back. Thanks!

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy