Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Creative Community Conversations ’13 Mac Pros with Avid Media Composer not starting, apparently widely reported

• ’13 Mac Pros with Avid Media Composer not starting, apparently widely reported

• Craig Seeman

September 24, 2019 at 2:24 pm

Hollywood filmmakers reporting ‘massive failures’ of Mac Pros running Avid
    https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/24/mac-pros-running-avid/

I guess that’s one way to ensure MC users move to Windows.

• Eric Santiago

September 24, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Oh well, such is life.
    I know it sucks when it happens to me.
    Now, of course, there must be a reason why this is happening.
    I am still running Avid MC 2018.x on High Sierra.
    No problem here as with our D700 nMP.
    Running FCPX, Resolve and Adobe CC with the Avid DNxHR box smoothly.

Crossing fingers 🙂

• Craig Seeman

September 24, 2019 at 6:14 pm
  • Joe Marler

September 24, 2019 at 9:05 pm

It currently appears to not be an Avid issue, nor isolated to Mac Pros. On any Mac with disabled System Integrity Protection, it appears a Chrome “Keystone” update alters the /var symlink which prevents OS boot. It probably showed up on Avid systems because those users often disable SIP for 3rd party Video Cards.

There is a current solution that does not require re-installing macOS: https://mrmacintosh.com/google-chrome-keystone-is-modifying-var-symlink-on-non-sip-macs-causing-boot-issues/

• Shane Ross

September 24, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Its’ been solved. Google Chrome messing with non SIP enabled macs or whatnot.

Damn, and I was just about to spread the rumor that it was Apple causing this. making Avid crash in bizarre ways to make Hollywood fearful of using it, and turning to FCX as an alternative.

Ah well…

Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

• Oliver Peters

September 24, 2019 at 11:33 pm

[Shane Ross] “Google Chrome messing with non SIP enabled macs”

Still seems like a ton of questions to be answered.

Does this affect machines without Media Composer installed? What about the combination of the two should have resulted in this situation? Obviously, if it were only Chrome-related, it would be a much more widespread issue. I realize that you have to disable the SIP, but is there more to it?

Did anyone report whether this occurred on Macs that do not have Chrome installed?

And I wonder whether Google will release another update that fixes this.

– Oliver

Oliver Peters – oliverpeters.com

• Shane Ross

September 25, 2019 at 2:04 am

[Oliver Peters]
    Does this affect machines without Media Composer installed?”

Yes. Many people with zero Avid software were affected. People with only Adobe software, or other graphics software. NOW I’m wondering if people without professional video software were affected..seems like the only outcry was in post, and mainly Avid.

[Oliver Peters] “What about the combination of the two should have resulted in this situation?”

Apparently some Google Chrome update caused this. I don’t use Chrome, so I dodged that one.

[Oliver Peters] “Obviously, if it were only Chrome-related, it would be a much more widespread issue. I realize that you have to disable the SIP, but is there more to it?”

Yeah, combo of Chrome and these softwares. Yeah, there’s more to it:

https://mrmacintosh.com/google-chrome-keystone-is-modifying-var-symlink-on-non-sip-macs-causing-boot-issues/?fbclid=IwAR1gPlh2L_R6yk0DLlXW51L0OxUwjbzLNbKXjns8Ezc7vD3pU1tzbFG1ngM

Shane
    Little Frog Post
    Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

• Eric Santiago

September 25, 2019 at 6:24 pm
Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy