Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X 1200 dpi TIFFs?

• 1200 dpi TIFFs?

Henry Garrou updated 1 month ago 8 Members · 10 Posts
  • Scott Allen

July 15, 2022 at 1:59 pm

We scan 35mm motion picture negs and prints, using a ScanStation to output Quicktime files in ProRes 422 HQ. The resulting scans are usually just above 2K. Almost all of our work goes through FCPX. A client just requested stills formatted as 1200 dpi TIFFs. Are there such things…? Is that just for physical print media? Is it possible to do starting from ProRes 422 HQ? Thanks for any help!

• Phil Sheldon

July 15, 2022 at 2:37 pm

hiya, don’t know about your scanning software, but with photography kit, we could set what dpi we wanted to scan at, and then save it as a tiff.

To make tiff’s i think you’re going to need photoshop or the like so i’m not sure you’d be able to use quicktime files. in your scanning software can you output still images. if so you could batch process in photoshop maybe

hope some of that helps a bit

• Scott Allen

July 15, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Thanks. You’ve offered valuable clues. Every bit helps. 8^)

With the ScanStation, I know that we can output as TIFF (and even DPX), but it’s not clear yet about setting the dpi, or how to translate to dpi. Our ScanStation (and Photoshop) expert just left for his own career as a pro photographer. I’m scrambling to figure things out now, lol.

Thanks for your help.

• Robert Olding

July 15, 2022 at 3:31 pm

FYI, DPI is a term from the print world; it stands for Dots Per Inch. It pretty much translates precisely to the digital world of PPI, Pixels Per Inch.

Super 35mm film is 24.89 mm by 18.66 mm (0.980 in by 0.735 in); if your client wants 1200 DPI/PPI, all you need to do is the math. It works out to be 1176px by 882px.

I’d double-check with the client and confirm that’s what they want. They might have an actual dimension in mind, such as 10 inches on the long side. If that’s the case, then the DPI/PPI for an image file scanned from a Super 35 frame to make a print 10 inches on the long side would be 12000px by 9000px.

1200 DPI/PPI is an odd request for print as the industry standard is 300 DPI/PPI.

You mention 2K in your post. If you are scanning Super 35mm to standard video 2K resolution (1920px on the long side), your numbers would be 1920px by 1440px.

• Scott Allen

July 15, 2022 at 6:04 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

I was aware of the meaning of DPI, but not so much how to translate into the realm of video/film scans. People will sometimes ask for stills to use in books and they typically ask for 300 dpi, but this is the first time anyone’s asked for 1200 dpi. And I don’t actually think this person wants it for a book.

These numbers help. Thanks again.

• Eric Santiago

July 16, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Ive worked in the print world for years and Ive never heard that number used.

1200 is overkill

• Andreas Kiel

July 18, 2022 at 9:48 am

These 1200 dpi is standard for “line art & graphics” while 300 dpi (and even lower like 210 dpi) is standard for offset printing of photos. So any professional scanner had 1200 dpi at least.

It’s quite easy to understand. Imagine those old Apple LaserWriter Plus, their print output had been 300 dpi. That had been an amazing quality for text/graphics that time – but still way behind the typo quality needed for the glossy magazines. Nothing has changed since.

BTW a 4-color print with 300 dpi has about 1200 dpi since the printing angle for each color is different.

So 300 dpi from any film/video is fine and sufficient.

• Robin S. Kurz

July 19, 2022 at 11:19 am

DPI refers to the number of printed dots contained within one inch of an image printed by a printer. Therefore that value is completely and utterly irrelevant in the world of video. It’s also most certainly not interchangeable with PPI because PPI refers to the number of pixels contained within one inch of an image displayed on a computer monitor. Which, for example, is why displaying a video at 100% on a Retina display is smaller (generally half) than on a “normal” screen.

So your client needs to tell what resolution they need, nothing else, with which DPI has nothing to do.

• Fernando Bergamaschi

July 19, 2022 at 11:46 am

The best is to talk openly with your client about what he really needs. Probably he do not know either. Talk to a printer. At least the client will know that you are interested in give him what he needs. Nobody have to be a genius.

• Henry Garrou

July 19, 2022 at 12:00 pm

All above is great info. Andreas is right about higher resolutions used for line art. I wanted to further that comment with the reason why print images need to be certain dpi, and possibly fill in the blank where your employee used to be.

Originally, offset printing or web press were your method of printing. Your computer images were output to film with a line screen of lines of dots, or solid lines which are measured in lpi (lines per inch). The minimum resolution for any image that does not appear pixelated when printed is 2x the lpi. Since web press printed at 100 lpi all images output from computers had to be at least 200 dpi. Offset presses started at 150 lpi, so your images had to be 300dpi. Nice magazines like vogue or gq, or sports cards. We’re 200lpi. And required 400 dpi. (Whew. Hope you’re still awake)

Lastly, when your images, text, and everything else we’re converted to film (to make the metal plates that wrap around the drums on the printer) via post script, the resolution of that film was 2450dpi. So anything that needed to be crisp and sharp, like a fine line or (God forbid) rasterized text, needed to be at least 1200 dpi on up to 2450. Anything higher than that was wasted effort since it would not improve the quality.

Hope this helps.

H

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy