Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy 1080i25? is it 25i or 50i or 25p

• 1080i25? is it 25i or 50i or 25p

• Donal O Kane

March 4, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Hi all,

Hoping that someone can clarify something for me.
    In all my searching the archives i haven’t come across an actual answer for this.

I work with lots of 25p and 50i HDCAM footage (camera man says he shoots 25p but that the HD Deck always identifies it as 50i).

I have always captured this with either the PRORES HQ 108025i or the uncompressed 10bit 1080i25, easy setups via a Kona 3 card.

But a post earlier this week jarred something loose in my head. My footage is 25p or 50i … why am I capturing in 25i.

So far I have found that

a) some mystic legal whojamawhatsit thing means 25i actually means 50i. They just can’t call it that.

b) that if capture with the 25i capture settings but change the field order to ‘none’ then its 25p ?

c) there is the possibility of somewhere in the great vast ether, a 1080i50 easy setup with corresponding capture settings and output settings that I haven’t been able to locate.

help?

I also tried to create a 25p easy setup with copying the settings for 24p and changing the appropriate parts to 25psf (as close as I could get). This however would not play out to the broadcast monitor via the kona card so either I did something screwy or it didn’t work.

Thanks for listening 🙂

FCP 6.02, kona 3, tiger, a bit hungry.

• Michael Gissing

March 4, 2008 at 9:56 pm

My understanding is that HDCam shoots 50i. When shooting a progressive image it shoots in 25psf, which means progressive segmented frame and that signal is 50i.

All the HDcam work that I have done has been captured and edited in a 50i sequence, regardless of whether it was shot 50i or 25psf. That said, I only deliver to broadcasters who spec 1080 50i. If you are scanning back to film then progressive sequences may be needed. Never heard of 25i. I suspect it is actually 50i.

• Carsten Orlt

March 4, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Its annoying, isn’t it!!

The same thing called different names.

There is no 1080p for broadcast! All 1080 broadcast footage is interlaced = i

On tape it is always 1080i50 for PAL.

What Aja calls 1080i25 should be better called 1080psf25. (progressive segmented frame)

What you did before you got confused was the right thing for progressive shot footage.

Carsten

• gary adcock

March 5, 2008 at 3:05 am

[Carsten Orlt] “There is no 1080p for broadcast! All 1080 broadcast footage is interlaced = i “

Very True – but not all content is captured for broadcast – Maybe it would be better to ban the hype and call it what it is- but remember that there is a difference between 25i (every field has a dupe) and 50i (where every field is different)

25 is no different than 29.97 – it tells the number of frames not the number of fields.

“On tape it is always 1080i50 for PAL. “

That is really not possible since PAL is only a standard def format – it is not an existing HD format sorry. Not to mention that the BBC also lists specs for 25psf deliverables not just 108050i and the EU does support the 720p50 format also.

In HD the only thing different is the frame rate – there is no longer any difference in the color space between the 25/50 worlds and the NTSC of the US and Japan.

gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Inside look at the IoHD

• Tulio Campregher

April 9, 2008 at 11:47 am

BBC calls it 1080i25, as it is 25 frames per second, no-one calls NTSC as 60i or PAL 50i, and some cameras can actually shoot at 50p, what would they call it?. so it makes sense.

Tulio

• Tom Wolsky

April 9, 2008 at 12:40 pm

They call it 1080p50 or 1080p60.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs “Complete Training for FCP6,” “Basic Training for FCS2” and “Final Cut Express Made Easy”
    Author: “Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials” and “Final Cut Express 3.5 HD Editing Workshop”

• gary adcock

April 9, 2008 at 2:19 pm

[Tom Wolsky] “They call it 1080p50 or 1080p60.”

they call it 1080i25 for capture and 1080 50i for playback.

Sony calls it ‘P’ (erroneously) – Sony’s format is PsF-it is captured as progressive – however plays back as interlace to be more compatible with existing systems.

Since only 3 sony camera models can actually record at 1080 50p or 60p (and notice that is a “p” and not “PsF” ) which are actually being used for Slo-Mo like the varicam does – just in the larger 1080 frame geometry, however 50p /60p work in 1080 requires a Dual Link capture setup and an array fast enough to sustain the over 400 MBps needed to capture.

gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Inside look at the IoHD

• luke hardiman

May 8, 2008 at 11:36 pm

So just to get back to basics for a second,

if the cameraman shot at 1080 25p, but FCP imports it off P2 as 1080 50i, I just need to set the field preference to “none”, and I will be working at and delivering 1080 25p

Thanks

Luke

• Jay Moffat

June 4, 2010 at 8:55 am

I have been asked recently, but could not give a definitive answer: Is there a quality loss rendering 50i footage out from FCP as 25p, and is that actually what should be supplied as a digital master?

I’ve tried a couple of tests but not been able to see a discernible difference, if any…The footage I was working with was shot progressive but presumably enclosed in a 50i wrapper..

J

• Rafael Amador

June 4, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Hi Jay,
    If the footage have been shot progressive, should be checked a NONE in FC, even if have been captured as Interlaced (Psf). Then can be edited in any Progressive or Interlaced sequence without problem.
    If the footage is Interlaced, the only way to make it work in a progressive sequence is de-interlacing it.
    If you are not sure if the footage is Progressive or Interlaced, you can use AE. Step field by field; if you see no difference every two field, then is Progressive.
    rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy