Forum Replies Created
-
Luckily I caught the fact that you had put greater-than and lesser-than brackets around your link, Alan. I removed them and so now the link shows. If I hadn’t it would not have showed and would have remained invisible.
Keep that in mind when you post here. The < and > tags are LINUX operator tags and we run under LINUX. When you use those tags, the OS treats them as an operator — unless the HTML code is complete. Leave the tags off, our system is written to add the proper encoding for those who don’t know how to code.
Ron Lindeboom
-
[Gary Chvatal] “Thats why this discussion has been so interesting to me. My experience has always been that lacking a contract stating otherwise the footage belongs to the shooter. Ron and Steve’s position on ownership is contrary to my experience so I’m surprised to see it argued so vehemently…”
Personally I believe from reading about the way that Sam Walton *started* his company — I am NOT speaking about the way that it ended up — I am not surprised that there was no contract from when the project started over 30 years ago.
Why?
Take yourself back 30 years. Wal-Mart was not the center of the retail world. The internet did not exist. Cable TV was in its infancy. There was no real way for these tapes to be circulated and I have little doubt in my mind that Sam Walton and Mr. Flagler had a clear understanding that these tapes were the property of Wal-Mart.
I could go on and on and spell out a bunch of other reasons I think this, but it’s late and I am exhausted and I am heading for bed.
So, there is no vehemence left for today, but if I had any left I would gladly aim it at the management of Flagler, a company I have come to abhor as an example of everything that I hate about the dark side of business.
When they destroy the value of the name they had, I suggest that if they stay in this industry a change to something akin to Underbelly Productions might be fitting under the circumstances, in my opinion.
But you are free to think what you wish, Gary.
Ron Lindeboom
-
[Todd Terry] “I think this whole 1000-post thread would probably be a non issue if it hadn’t involved an “evil empire” like Wal-Mart, as there is aways some satisfaction with seeing the “bad guys” get what is coming to them. But of course this is NOT the right way to do that.”
I think it would exist, Todd, had any production company used their footage in a manner such as this — which many of us here see this as a blackmail attempt on a former client. It just wouldn’t likely have as far-reaching affect on the buyer side of this industry. That it is Wal-Mart, it is going to get big press in all the major newspaper, business journals, etc., and that is where the real backlash will come from.
While some would argue that this is the way things are, that the contract allowed it, etc., etc., doesn’t make it right.
The industry is getting a black eye from this and I do believe that this is going to leave a bad taste in the mouth of many corporations, companies that will start doing business different in the days ahead. Not everyone, but many.
Best always,
Ron Lindeboom
-
We really wish we could afford to send the magazines internationally, Thorsten, but it is simply out of the question.
I am sorry that it’s a bummer to download a PDF and read it on a monitor but it’s the best we can do and we try to make it as easy as we can.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
-
Hello Thorsten,
I regret to inform you that in the sign-up page we say that we unfortunately cannot mail copies outside the United States due to the high cost of international mailing. We wish we could but the costs are just too prohibitive. So no, we will not be mailing to your address in Germany.
This is why we make the PDF version so easily accessible for the convenience of our international members.
Our apologies,
Ron Lindeboom
-
Ron Lindeboom
April 13, 2008 at 12:51 am in reply to: Hiding my email address from spammers and such?Our system when it gets a bunch of bounce notices will turn off the offending account. So keep that in mind, also.
Ron Lindeboom
-
[Steve Wargo] “Ron, I am steaming over this one. The actions of this vindictive pair could hurt all of us.”
I couldn’t agree with you more, Steve. The backlash from this is going to be with us for years.
The best defense is a good offense, as they say. In that, I think that those here who have outlined their policy of “it all belongs to the client and they can have it all if they go” is the only real pitch that is going to hold water in the days ahead.
Trying to hold to any other policy in a negotiation with a new corporate client is going to foul the air like a fart at a wedding.
Ron Lindeboom
-
Wow, we get 750,000 visitors a month now and have over 107,000 fully registered members that post so it is a L-O-N-G stretch for you to imagine that in a month we might actually get TWO whole occasions to raise the intensity above a whisper — or give out a reaction aside from a pat on the back???
Lastly, Scott Lissard admitted that his remarks on the Windows On Mac article were “harsh.” They were. He also jumped to conclusions and his remarks were ill-informed at best. If you liked him and approved of his comments, then I will say that it may be a case wherein birds of a feather…
There, that’s three now. (Where’s Bob Zelin when you really need him?)
Ron Lindeboom
-
I have no hard feelings, Bob. And I do appreciate your lobbying on behalf of the COW.
If you have learned anything about me in the years that we have been doing this, I am outspoken, stubborn, driven and will never leave you guessing where I stand on an issue. Good traits — but not in *every* situation. 😉
Thanks for your well wishes. They are appreciated.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom