Forum Replies Created

Page 222 of 282
  • Joseph W. bourke

    January 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm in reply to: Top glass not needed for DSLR Video?

    My opinion is that you need top end lenses for the speed of the lens, not necessarily for the “quality of the glass”. While a cheaper lens may get you the same level of sharpness at certain settings, you lose out in the fact that your low light capabilities are reduced, as well, which means noise. It doesn’t much matter how sharp your shot is if it’s noisy.

    Here are some really good opinions on lensing for DSLRs:

    https://nofilmschool.com/dslr/lenses-primes-brands/

    Here’s some more good information:

    https://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2010/02/06/still-lenses/

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Not to be difficult, but in corporate video, there’s a message, or information, or educational information to be put across. And generally, there’s a pretty large investment which is expecting a return in sales, or easier product usage, or fewer tech support calls, so the analogy of the movie theater compared to a hand held device doesn’t hold water. Movie goers don’t walk out of the theater expecting to install software, or buy a product (maybe popcorn), or know more than they came in knowing.

    The corporate video’s job is to give each and every viewer the same experience, which is why it can be so superior to a sales call, or a tech support operator, or any other situation in which a variable can occur which could confuse the message.

    For my money – I would design the graphics so that they would read well on the smallest screen, then apply that to whatever other formats are required. I agree with Mark that there may be different ways to get the data or info across, but at the end of the day, the message should be consistent across all media – that’s what builds awareness and gets response.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    January 14, 2012 at 6:27 pm in reply to: Magic Lantern

    Peter is right about the “hang”. It’s critical to get the battery out immediately, since there’s something mentioned in the ML docs about a loop being created which can cause damaging heat to build up. According to the ML docs, you just put the battery back in, reboot, and good to go. I haven’t run into this yet, but I’m still in the testing phase, and haven’t taken it out on a paid shoot with ML installed. I want to know the fine points first.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    January 14, 2012 at 6:21 pm in reply to: Apple’s strong Mac sales

    Whoa! Cutting video on an IPad. Kinda like doing graphic design with a mouse instead of a drawing tablet – it’s like drawing with a potato!

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    January 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm in reply to: Magic Lantern

    Hi Joe –

    It is absolutely critical that you have the latest version of the T2i firmware on the camera. Start here on the T2i ML Wiki site and read everything:

    https://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

    I just did my T2i, and I was biting my nails all through the process. Guess what – nothing to worry about. Just follow the directions explicitly. There’s an installation file available which walks you through the steps, the a user guide which install to your camera, so you’ve got everything on board. It’s not immediately intuitive – read the manual. You get to the ML menu by pressing the Trashcan button – did I say non-intuitive?

    So what do I have now? With the Xmas release, which I installed, I now have the ability to do a follow focus automatically, HDR shooting with ease (up to 9 shots, I think), ISOs which are off the charts, and tons more functionality – especially the audio fixes, which I haven’t put to work yet – I’m waiting for a mono to stereo mini cable for my shotgun mic. This makes sliced bread look lame in comparison. Good luck.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    January 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm in reply to: Is this ethical?

    Take what Shawn and Jim said, and add it to the fact that a good portion of those hiring freelancers in our industry start off with the old “if you’ll do this project cheap, we’ll have loads of work for you.” and then move on to the next, and the next, and the next freelancer.

    You’re setting yourself up for a fixed low price, forever, from this company. If your “friend” believes enough in your talents, he should get you in the door with no cover charge.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    January 12, 2012 at 12:49 am in reply to: Shoulder Mount vs Eyecup

    Hi Casey –

    I own the CarrySpeed. It’s not at all bad, although I would have liked one with a diopter adjustment, but wanted to try one out before I laid out the bigger cash.

    There’s a bit of color aberration around the edges of the eyecup, but I don’t find that it affects my judgement of the colors or focus. Read the slew of reviews on Ama*on. There’s lots of good info there. I’m not using it heavily yet, but I wanted to dip my toes in the water before diving in.

    I have also found that, since installing Magic Lantern on my T2i, that the need for the enlargement of the LCD is not that great. There are some features in ML which allow me to really zoom in on my focus points. Something else to consider. But all in all, under 40 bucks is a price for which you can’t go wrong.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • One word, well three…Newton for After Effects (well…four). It’s a physics system which works as a simulator in AE, and does things that would take months to do with keyframes; plus, it creates keyframes, which you can then apply to other layers, etc.

    There’s a demo version on the site, although it can be hard to get at, for some reason. Look at the demo, and play with the demo software – it’s quite amazing:

    https://www.motionboutique.com/en/shop

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    January 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm in reply to: Your New NLE …

    Oh boy…if you thought every cub scout was an editor with iMovie, this will make every dog, cat, and spider monkey an editor! No talent necessary.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    January 6, 2012 at 2:02 am in reply to: A more simple way?

    Butch –

    If there’s money in your budget for it, you couldn’t do better than Red Giant’s Tsunami:

    https://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/psunami/

    I believe it’s a couple of hundred bucks, and it allows you to animate just the water part (you can do calm lake water as well as billowing waves) and use a different image for the background, which is what it appears you’re trying to do.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

Page 222 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy