Forum Replies Created
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “These days, DPs in my area anyway, don’t own cameras anymore. They own support gear and maybe some lenses, and of course they have a camera that they own, but they don’t use it on every single shoot.”
Veering a little off topic (hahahaha!!!) from my own (off) topic, but okay, what are you and your Chicagoland peeps tending to use? Why?
[Jeremy Garchow] “You never know, but ultra high resolution isn’t the first consideration for our gigs.”
What IS the first consideration?
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[David Eaks] ” you guys think it is OK to post the link to the survey? I couldn’t find anything in the privacy policy or legal page that would lead me to believe that I can’t share it.”
Go for it. As noted by several here, the folks at Apple aren’t averse to getting in touch now and again. I’m sure that someone will hear from them if they have a problem with this.
Thanks,
TimTim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[TImothy Auld] “I’m in. On either side.”
More likely, both.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Steve Connor] “Would it be libellous to suggest”
We’re still talking about it. I’ll let you know.
Or, more accurately, our lawyers will let you know.
Of course, we have also been talking about sending Apple one of those fruit bouquet thingies. Seems like the least we can do.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
Tim Wilson
May 3, 2012 at 7:10 am in reply to: OT (or maybe not) – Harris to sell Broadcast Business[Craig Seeman] “I look at what Blackmagic has done with Resolve and think that, given they keep expanding into a complete and complimentary end to end workflow, that an NLE might be something they’d add to their product kit.”
We interviewed Grant just before NAB, and he talked at some length about Teranex. When I asked him about maybe buying Avid, he changed the subject. 🙂 He spoke about his dissatisfaction as an Avid customer in the early 90s, and how that was part of what drove him to make inexpensive I/O hardware, as well as working with them in their new era of openness. He made it sound pretty far-fetched though.
A really fun interview, by the way. Especially if you’ve never heard Grant speak before, you’re in for a real treat. Very opinionated, direct and witty. Even beyond the specifics of his company, you’ll hear lots of great insights into the way he thinks and his vision for the industry, from his perspective as a former post and broadcast engineer into Blackmagic. (“Moving from post-production to manufacturing, I’ve been really shocked! There are some horrible people in this place!”)
Even knowing how aggressively he moves, seeing a $90,000 converter drop to $2995 in 6 months — AND adding features and reducing size –is staggering. Turns out that the only people who could possibly have upstaged that story….are Blackmagic, with that dang camera!
Anyway, Grant’s interview is here: “Grant Petty: We Want to Blow People’s Minds.”
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Mark Raudonis] “Literally, “The Real World” on MTV.”
Mark is the Senior Vice President of Post Production at Bunim/Murray, the reality TV production giants that created and produce The Real World, Project Runway, Keeping Up With the Khardassians, and others. With more than 100 seats, working on 10 shows with staggering amounts of footage, collaboration and other aspects of hard-core workflow are pretty big deals.
He wrote a great article about his year-long quest to map out Bunim/Murray’s next steps after FCP for Creative COW Magazine, called “‘Real World’ Editing: From Avid to FCP and Back Again.” Highly recommended reading for a unique perspective from a careful, considerate guy who is anything but a knee-jerk hatah. And, as you might expect, he’s a terrific storyteller too.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
The moronic test balloon of one rapidly-dispatched moron CEO notwithstanding, in case anyone has ever wondered what it would look like for a company get out of the gadget business to focus on its computer customers — it looks kinda like this.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Robert d'Alexis] “I was mostly curious as to why you said the Z820 would beat anything Apple came up with. I have a friend who is lusting after a Z820 and he has tasked me with gleaning as much information as I can about the machine.”
Thanks for your generous response, but I don’t want to get ahead of myself. I KNOW that the Z820 can be configured more muscularly than the current Mac Pro. I BELIEVE that this will still be the case if Apple releases another Mac Pro…since we don’t know what such a thing might look like. But if it’s based on the current one, then there’s no question.
Since we’re talking about hackintoshes and HPs, I think we’re staying pretty well on topic…but if we go much further down the route of specifics, there’s probably a better place to carry on the “is the Z820 the machine for me” conversation than this…assuming that there’s anywhere better in the COW to talk about anything. LOL We can try the Windows Hardware forum, a much quieter place than this obviously, mostly because nobody’s mad about anything. 🙂
But hey, let’s keep going here until we need to go there….
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Robert d’Alexis] “”Even if Apple releases another Mac Pro (and I think they will), the HP Z820 is going to be a better beast.”
Would you care to amplify that remark, Tim? :-)”
I amplified my thinking about another Mac Pro above — dang, it WAS this forum right? Not another one?
re: the HP Z820’s beastitude, nothing fancy. Again, jumping off from my assumption that Apple will keep the same case….more card slots, more places to put bigger drives, better graphics support (Apple has NEVER been willing to step past second-class citizenry for graphics; I don’t see that changing), twice as many RAM slots, etc. etc.
And frankly, a prettier interior. 🙂
But seriously, have you checked out the tech specs line by line? From an infrastructure point of view, the Z820 is just badder. Yeah, yeah Thunderbolt. Whatevs. Too many other advantages to let something like that be a hangup. But me being a goofball aside, if that’s make or break for you, it is…but is it? Your call.
Aside from the beastitutde, I’m also nuts about HP’s next business day service. The fact is that most computers mostly work, but let’s say a motherboard blows out — HP has a replacement on your doorstep NBD, and you can replace it yourself with no tools.
I’ll note that my wife just bought a consumer HP laptop in the thin, light ultrabook Air kinda class — 3yr warranty that covers EVERYTHING, including pouring beer straight on the keyboard or smashing the screen (because you’re mad about the beer I guess) with HOUSECALL SERVICE, for $20 less than AppleCare.
Seriously, when I think about stuff like that at both the consumer and workstation level, I can’t think of a reason on earth anyone would buy a Mac.
Mac OS, blah blah blah. Whatevs. Robert, you asked me to talk about the relative merits of Apple and HP vis a vis the boxes they build. Other than that previous wiseass sentence, I have no comments on the relative merits of the OS experience.
DEFINITELY no comment on hackintoshing. It’s just us, right? Just shooting the breeze.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Herb Sevush] “[Tim Wilson] “if Apple releases another Mac Pro (and I think they will”
is that a hint or a guess, or can you say.”
I can say, because it’s a guess. 🙂
Maybe they’ve got the next form factor ready to go. The HP Z1 shows that you can pack an awful lot of muscle into an iMac-ish shape, with specs that in some cases compare favorably to a Mac Pro. (Obviously not in every way. I’m just saying….). In that case (haha), let ‘er rip.
The thing is, it’s been a long time since there’s been a reallllly new Mac Pro. Same form factor for a while now, just adding new components as they become available. Plenty of people smarter than me have pointed to new Intel components, and better graphics support from a whole lot of companies, for both GL and CL.
So why not another turn of the crank? Ship some configs with faster/bigger storage, more/faster RAM, faster processors, new IO, better graphics, and buy another 2+ years while the Thunderbolt/iMac-ish/MacBook-ish ecosystem keeps building out, until people say “Who the hell needs a Mac Pro anymore? I can do more with my new Apple (fill in the blank) than my (insert age) Mac Pro anyway.”
It just doesn’t seem that hard to me for Apple to have it both ways for a little longer: easy manufacturing, easy money. Nothing to explain to customers except, “It’s new. It’s more powerful. Pay up, suckas.”
My general rule of thumb for Apple predictions, though: no matter what you say, you’re WRONG. They have a pretty remarkable record for making every pundit look like an idiot most of the time. Which also doesn’t seem that hard to me.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou