Forum Replies Created

Page 920 of 1040
  • Craig Seeman

    August 20, 2008 at 2:49 pm in reply to: 30fps coming in at 29.97

    30p is actually 29.97 NTSC. 60p is actually 59.94. It’s the nature of NTSC compatibility.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 20, 2008 at 1:01 pm in reply to: 1080p vs. 1080i for acquisition and post

    The temporal differences between 108024p and 60i are discernible to most. I tend to shoot at 30p to get better temporal resolution that 24p and, when shooting sports, will use 720p60 or 1080i60 in some circumstances.

    You have to know what your clients want, why they want it, what you are delivering for. If the clients likes the look of 24p they will not like 60i.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 19, 2008 at 2:22 pm in reply to: XDCAM files import error

    It sounds like a bad install/bad FCP update. The EX codecs are installed when one updates to FCP 6.0.2 so they should be there in 6.0.4.

    I’d suggest a reinstall and use software update to get to FCP 6.0.2. You may have to uninstall FCP and/or the production suite by hand including the pkg receipts (what a pain!). You could experiment with just removing the pkg receipts though.

    I know it can very frustrating when software updates doesn’t work the way it should. Unfortunately it happens. For that reason I NEVER us software update for OS updates (I use the combo update from Apple’s site).

  • Craig Seeman

    August 18, 2008 at 12:12 am in reply to: XDCAM files import error

    I have a strong hunch it’s the combination of QT, OS, FCP. You may not be able to fix it until you get an internet connection.

    In the meantime even though you’re not seeing the media in the XDCAM Transfer Tool, try rewrapping one clip to mov and then importing it into FCP and see if you see the video.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 17, 2008 at 10:52 pm in reply to: XDCAM files import error

    Is there a reason you don’t simply update to FCP 6.0.4?
    You should have ClipBrowser2, XDCAM Transfer 2.7.

    Is your OS 10.4.11 or 10.5.4?
    Is QT 7.5?

  • Craig Seeman

    August 17, 2008 at 4:06 pm in reply to: XDCAM EX directly to quicktime

    The short answer MIGHT be Yes but the longer answer is I can’t tell because you haven’t given enough info about your setup.

    You must have FCP 6.0.2 and up to have the XDCAM EX codec. I’d also suggest you download ClipBrowser 2 and XDCAM Transfer software 2.7.

    If you’re attempting to use as a “web cam” it may depend on whether your computer can handle HD-SDI in or maybe the SDI in if you send SD out of the SDI.
    You might also be able to use firewire if you shoot in HDV compatible mode.
    You might be able to use the component out of the camera.

    All that depends on what your input device/card is and your computer’s capabilities.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 17, 2008 at 3:59 pm in reply to: “unable to import clips” – Urgent problem

    I believe Clip Browser 1 had a serious bug when creating new BPAV folders. I reported this to Sony some time back. It was fixed in Clip Browser 2.

    I wouldn’t be surprised that Clip Browser 1 created defective BPAV folders. By “eye” they look fine but apparently were missing crucial data that XDCAM Transfer needed and therefore wouldn’t recognize the clips.

    Unfortunately by you can’t tell which BPAV folders are defective.
    While I had no major issue splitting BPAV in CB1 I had not attempted to combine BPAV. I did find that when I imported an MP4 and created a new BPAV the the BPAV CB1 created was defective. I have a hunch that CB1 may also be creating defective BPAV folders when combining. If I understand you, you combined BPAV in CB1 and I think that is the root of the issue.

    ClipBrowser2 IS able to take the MP4 and create new viable BPAV folders. It creates new meta data but, in the end, you’ll have clips you can use with XDCAM Transfer to rewrap as MOV for FCP.

    Depending on the results of the next question I’ll make a suggestion.

    Using CB2, can it see all the BPAV folders and the clips in them?
    If so, you may attempt to split them into separate 8GB BPAVs

    If CB2 can NOT see all the BPAV folders and their clips then import each individual MP4 (Use CB2 Import feature to import individual MP4 clips) and then create new BPAV under 8GB. Doing this you’ll be loosing your meta data but the new BPAVs should work.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 17, 2008 at 3:21 pm in reply to: “unable to import clips” – Urgent problem

    Each BPAV should be in its own folder. Use XDCAM Transfer tool 2.7. Ideally you should be using ClipBrowser2, not the older version 1.

    You haven’t explained how you’ve organized your BPAV folders so it’s very hard to make suggestions.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 16, 2008 at 7:44 pm in reply to: Out of hard drive space – what do I delete?

    Depending on where you are in the process you can also render a sequence/timeline as a self contained movie

    That’s why I’m finding it hard to make suggestions without knowing exactly your workflow and what is being referenced.

    If you’re editing and rendering is SD, you likely wouldn’t need the HD renders as I think Don is pointing out.

    If you’re done editing and are at the stage where you just want to output or title and output you could make the SD timeline self contained move, toss everything else (don’t forget to backup the source BPAV or MOV if that’s your ‘druther) and then you can import that self contained SD movie and add titles, music, etc.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 16, 2008 at 3:40 pm in reply to: XDCAM on FCP

    It could be the computer is scaling the image. To monitor properly send output to an HD monitor or an HDTV. I use DVI to HDMI cable and send to an HDTV. While not color calibrated, it gives me a good sense of what it really looks like. Computer monitors are progressive and certainly some computers may struggle decoding “full screen” MPEG 2 Long GOP.

Page 920 of 1040

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy