Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
Bill Davis
May 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm in reply to: Using adjustment layers to add spice to Premiere’s bland transitionsJeeze guys,
Everyone knows that from the moment that the Video Toaster debuted the “Falling Sheep” wipe – the entire “best video effect ever” contest was called off on account of that bit of insane brilliance that will never, ever be equalled.
That you’re even bringing up a “tacky effect” discussion in light of this immutable history is nuts.
; )
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
May 16, 2012 at 2:03 am in reply to: Short read on the frustration over the title “editor” meaning too littleSorry dude.
I write my ideas down for everyone to judge. Good or bad.
I don’t “do” click through links to other people’s ideas when I’m in a discussion. I may quote someone, but I generally prefer to speak for myself and make my own arguments.
If you feel that you need to rely on links to other peoples creations in order to make your points, that’s cool.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Same experience.
One of the reason’s I’ve always been so mystified by all the problems so many people have had is that when X was first released, my MacPro system didn’t have an Open CL capable card – so I had to run X on a pretty modern fully packed MacBook Pro – and it’s always performed really, really well there.
When I finally upgraded my MacPro to a new card, X ran fine, but I still get better performance from my laptop.
It makes sense to me that since the code base in X is so fresh, that they designed it to take full advantage of modern processors, GPUs and I/O paths – essentially designing it for where they saw hardware trends going – rather than the hardware standards of even the recent past.
From what I’ve read, even a very robust “big iron” machine that’s a few years old, seems to perform much more poorly running X than an iMac or MacBook pro that’s more modern.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
May 16, 2012 at 12:19 am in reply to: Short read on the frustration over the title “editor” meaning too little[Jules bowman] “Plus I WIN and YOU LOSE and because I used capitals mine counts more so WIN.
“
Well, I doubt anyone here will have the gracelessness to call you to account on any of your personal capitalization issues.
In this forum, anyone around since the beginning knows that we’ve been there and done that ages ago.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
May 16, 2012 at 12:16 am in reply to: Short read on the frustration over the title “editor” meaning too little[Aindreas Gallagher] “serious to christ Bill, you have the emotional maturity of a toddler.”
No, I have some command of analytical thought. Every editor wants tools they enjoy.
The OP doesn’t see that in X. I do. Since my needs have been satisfied and his have not, the statement that I win and he loses is not in any way emotional. It’s factual. It’s like saying we both had deal with the EOL issues of our former NLE – we both had to change – and I’ve found a solution that makes me happy – and he’s still struggling to find one.
The only place this has anything to do with “emotional maturity” is in the wheedling tone your brain applies to everything I write whether it was intended to be delivered that way or not.
The language is plain as day.
You’re interpretation of it, as is typical, is what is emotionally overblown and totally off target with any intention on my part.
Have a nice day.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
May 15, 2012 at 8:52 am in reply to: Short read on the frustration over the title “editor” meaning too little[Greg Andonian] “Wow, Apple’s arrogance has put a dark cloud over the whole industry. Sad, really…
“I know it’s really probably satisfying for you to anthropomorphize “Apple” like it’s a person and ascribe to it characteristics like “arrogance” – but in point of fact it’s not a person. (The temporary insanity the Roberts court went down in Citizens United, notwithstanding.)
It’s a huge corporation, just like many others. It’s run on a set of governing principals the primary of which is the same as any other business from the local malt shop to the titans of global industry. Make profits and satisfy the needs of the largest swath of customers, shareholders and employees you can.
Your entire problem is that they stopped taking care of YOU. So you’re pissed. And you feel slighted.
But they’re still making more profits than 99% of the commercial firms in the world, so the market continues to judge them correct, and you wrong in your attitude about their decision making. As to FCP-X specifically, the jury is out, but from where I sit fielding questions and talking to corporate editors across the country, it’s not just doing fine, it’s WAY ahead of where Legacy was at the end of year one in it’s life.
And I know that because I was editing with Legacy from the beginning – so I lived it.
X is actually, significantly more challenging to learn than legacy ever was since it re-envisioned so many old style A/B roll sensibilities and a whole lot of editors including many, many here have been griping about it for a year, and after a year, they keep demonstrating that they haven’t been able to grasp how it actually works beyond a surface level. That’s not a slam. It’s a reflection of how much unlearning and re-orientation it takes to use the new tool fluidly – and how few working editors have had the patience or or the kinds of projects it’s so well suited for – with which to devote the solid time required to becoming fluent with it.
For everyone who has had the ability to do so, , the pattern is pretty clear. The more someone uses it, the more they discover to like. And it’s very hard to go back to editing the way we once did.
No doubt there are lots and lots of pro editors “pissed” at Apple. But there are also lots and lots of others like me who are quite happy with their new direction and their willingness to focus on new ideas and capabilities.
I have a better tool for my personal style of editing. You have one you won’t or can’t embrace.
I win. You lose. Sorry about that. But the industry and life in general moves on.
But really, If all you have to contribute is “bad mouthing the big bad company” then I’d suggest you either contribute meaningfully or go over to read the other software’s groups.
Oh wait, those are kinda boring and THIS place, the place with FCP-X in the title – appears to be where the action is.
Maybe that’s still happening for a reason?
How bout you come back and tell me how lame FCP-X is when the Premier or AVID boards are hopping with new editors right and left and this one is dull? That would be demonstrative, huh?
It would also be a lot more useful then coming here and telling guys like me that we’re all just not clever enough to see the arrogance and sadness being imposed upon us by big bad Apple.
Funny, cause I personally don’t FEEL like a victim. I feel pretty much happy and kinda empowered every time I sit down to cut with X.
And I guess I would be sorry that you are being forced to feel that the big mean company has called forth dark clouds and sadness upon your universe.
Must suck.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
This made me smile.
I used to go to studios for ISDN sessions as a voice talent. And considered for years putting ISDN into my home studio – but never felt I could make on-going telco investment pay.
So I’ve just been doing all my VO work via phone and “delayed file delivery” for the past decade. Typically get a script – cut and send the VO – and get changes later for re-cut and re-send. Not the same as a “live session” at all.
Then a week ago, I got a call from a producer I do a lot of work with – and he had emergency changes required for his out of town conference stage intros and Voice of God stuff – and was clearly worried about directing it.
I saw he’d sent me the scrip via his iPhone… so I suggested we try a FaceTime VO session.
I stuck my iPhone on a stand and Mafer clamp – and called him – and he directed through his iPhone and then I sent him the files.
Worked great and I could see his every expression and reaction as if he’d been here.
Not sure what this means the the greater scheme of things. And I wouldn’t do this with a killer deadline and certainly not with an inexperienced talent who wouldn’t know to “self-stop” and correct apotentially popped P or slur – but it sure worked for us.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Chris Harlan] “Frankly, I don’t see it as being panicky or alarmist. I think of it as being kindly and prudent.”
Well, as someone who was roundly and persistently trashed for SHOUTING and generally being alarmist so many times, perhaps It’s just a minor sore point to me.
Perhaps I just yearn for the days of my “or Not” group virginity back when I could conceivably use all caps and three exclamation points – and be incorrect – and not have invective rain upon me as a deluge.
Ah, the good old days…
; )
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Paul Jay] “FCPX and CS6 are both awesome and both will deserve their place.”
Paul,
You understand this is heresy right?
In this forum, one must swear allegiance to an NLE. Unconditionally!
One must be outraged when anyone suggests it’s not ideal for everyone. And one needs to develop a deep, deep desire to bask in the warm glow of self-satisfaction when someone says something nice about your choice.
Some of the priests here have proved to be so sage that they can notice the good in all – but to ascend to that level of neutralized judgeship requires many, many posts and expertise in one of the more arcane arts that everyone fears and values so much that they can’t dismiss.
So far, only Walter S and Tim have ascended into such lofty clouds – and Tim’s a special case because he works for the joint and talks to the owner regularly.
You’ve been warned, so get in line, dude.
This reasonableness must not stand…
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Bret Williams] “Interesting thread. The reason we shot 24p? Because halfway into the shoot I asked the camera op “You’ve got it set to 30p, right?” and he said no, 24p. So, the next shoot had to be 24p for the second video too. :)”
Now THATS a real world response I can totally relate to!
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor