Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
Well, all this really means is that somebody (from the article attribution, a pro working at high levels of the industry) felt comfortable writing those words and posting them in a very highly trafficked public forum. You are totally free to doubt them. But you have to accept that somebody was willing to put their professional reputation behind what they wrote. This stuff travels far and is pretty permanent. If you know others who have different experiences or gotten different results – they should write up something saying so. Publicly post the alternate view and let users judge for themselves. Currently, my personal experiences line up with the “on a solid system, X works significantly smoother than I expected” camp. That’s all.
New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…
-
Huh? Kicking you? I was AGREEING with you.
Seems to me that my long ago nemesis Aindreas stomped back in (as he has a habit of doing) and started the old refrain that anyone thinking too differently about editing orthodoxy is an idiot.I LOVE that you’ve been thinking differently about this stuff.
It’s been exciting.
I’ve spread your thinking (with appropriate credit to you AND Charlie for engendering the whole discussion) around in some of my more private circles and it’s been met with great interest and discussion.
So the LAST thing I want to do is hold a door for any exit on your part. If I had my druthers, I’d lock said door with you INSIDE so the discussion can continue.
Just so we’re clear here.
New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…
-
Simon,
Wish I had money for every time I had similar feelings of exhasperation here.
I’ve come to see how incredibly invested people get in needing to validate the opinions they have taken in public. Myself most definitely included.The thing is, when your opinion is based on clear, logical thinking and you can articulate WHY you hold the opinion – it’s never that much of a risk to espouse it.
Others can disagree. And you can even prove to have gotten things entirely wrong. But what is impossible to support is that the opinion was dumb to begin with.
X is either a valuable and INNOVATIVE tool, or it’s not. If it is, ever more editors will see and accept that over time. And those who try to say it’s not that will eventually fail, because that’s not the reality.
Yes, superior ideas do regularly fail. But usually because they dont have the financial and/or creative support to flourish over time. That is NOT the case here. FWIW.
New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…
-
I’m always eternally grateful that WAY early in my “internet self-training” after I watched a vicious exchange between two idiots hiding behind their “handles” on CB Simulator (one of the earliest chat applications) I pledged to myself to ONLY post under my own name whenever allowed – and not write anything online I wouldn’t say to someone in person. I’ve certainly not been anywhere close to perfect about that, but in subsequent years came to see the as a really smart strategy.
As to the critical importance of actively wrangling camera metadata – I now can easily imagine some poor innocent videographer selling their used camera on Craig’s list and some subsequent owner using the device to shoot some extremely objectionable content – the subsequent distribution of which results in an unpleasant FBI visit to the original owner. Not that far fetched a scenario today.
Metadata management matters in the modern era. A lot.
FWIW
New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…
-
[Brett Sherman] “Slightly off topic. I know this is really about editing application, file system metadata. But on the camera front, I find really almost all the metadata generated in camera useless. Frame rate? Not much there to sift through. This is what I would need at the camera level for metadata to actually be usefu”
In my experience, however, sometimes what I “thought” I needed, turns out not to be what I actually could benefit from.
Case in point, (which I’ve mentioned on boards before) is how after a photographer friend showed me how to set my Owner Name ID in my 5dMkII years ago, I was kinda shocked to find to discover that very info attached to one of my Vimeo uploads in the “Shot by” fields. Basically, the camera metadata had survived all the way from ingest to editorial to share and eventual download.
THIS is the new reality.
Basically knowing what is or is not important, in my experience, evolves.
FWIW.
New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…
-
[Bill Davis] “It’s also one that quite a few high level X editors appear to be enjoying these days.
Ref:
And:
And:
That said, I still prefer the X system that slots search directly inside the editing app. “OK, that’s just weird. Wonder how that happened? Must have been typing in my sleep? Oh well.
New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…
-
Bill Davis
May 20, 2016 at 6:57 am in reply to: Signal converter to view output on an external monitor?You don’t need a converter. That green RCA port labeled CVbS is a composite in. Buy a cable with that connector on both ends. Locate the RCA out on your camera. (Composite video will likely be yellow) connect them together and you should be good to go.
It’s only green because they also allow component on the same ports which maps to red green and blue.
Also check the menus to make sure there isn’t a component vs composite item you need to set.New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…
-
If you’re going to do this don’t go half way. Invest in something to the Rolls PM55a or a similar amplifier/splitter that gives your boom operator the ability to monitor the boom signal at the same time it splits it out for the wireless feed to the camera.
Asking a crew person to do mic booming – and then making them “guess” what kind of signal is going to the recorder is really silly.
FWIWNew signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…
-
For those content to shift their focus out of the current task – editing – to undertake a different task – searching – this makes great sense. And letting a separate producer(s) work on content markup that feeds one or more editors is a nice feature.
It’s also one that quite a few high level X editors appear to be enjoying these days.
Ref:
And:
And:
That said, I still prefer the X system that slots search directly inside the editing app.I want to search to enable the flow of my editing “in the moment”. Not as a separate task.
Switching focus between separate discrete tasks – for me – adds “friction” into the editing process.
And to me, editing is all about staying “in the zone” as much as possible.YMMV
New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…
-
Am I misreading this, or is this approach constrained primarily to clip and camera based metadata? The real magic of the X approach, IMO is that it uniquely adds and manages range-based metadata as well. And I’m not sure how you can apply/manage that outside of the NLE itself.
New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by…