Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Storage & Archiving Small Video Production PEG channel needs storage and backup solution

• Small Video Production PEG channel needs storage and backup solution

Jon DeLeon updated 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 15 Posts
  • Jon DeLeon

February 4, 2020 at 10:43 pm

Hi Bob!

So I took your advice and purchased the TVS-872XT-16G and the recommended switch, along with the 10g adapters. I’m in the process of setting everything up and planning out my storage strategy, but I’m looking for some additional advice:

Here’s what I have
    QNAP TVS-872XT-16G
    QNQSW12088C
    8 Iron Wolf 10TB hard disks
    4 10G Thunderbolt converters
    3 iMac Retina 5k 2017 (MacOS Catalina)
    1 older iMac (only for accessing files, not editing)
    3 G-Raid thunderbolt 3 with 6gb capacity each
    WD MyBook NAS with 8 TB capacity
    Final Cut Pro X

What I’d like to do
    We use the 3 new iMacs for editing multicam (3 cams max) 4k video and audio. We want to share projects between all of the computers, so we can pick up from where we left off on any machine. I also want to ensure some redundancy for data integrity and backups.

Here are my questions

Which RAID config should I use? RAID 6? Will this be fast enough? I’ve read that RAID 5 is not as recommended anymore, particularly for larger files and disks.
    What would you recommend I do with the G RAIDs? Is there a good way to repurpose them? Should I just keep them as DAS for when projects are too big to run off the QNAP, or can I use them as extra storage?

I’m also thinking of syncing the QNAP to Backblaze for nightly backups and B2 storage for assets and completed projects, and I have access to an unlimited amount of Google Drive storage.

Just trying to figure out the best way to utilize all these awesome tools. Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you!

Jon

• Bob Zelin

February 4, 2020 at 11:50 pm

Which RAID config should I use? RAID 6? Will this be fast enough? I’ve read that RAID 5 is not as recommended anymore, particularly for larger files and disks.

REPLY – yes. RAID 6. You will lose the equivalent of 2 drives of storage for RAID 6.
    Raid 5 you will lose the equivalent of 1 drive for storage.
    Whoever said that this is wrong, especially for “larger files and disks” is an idiot.

What would you recommend I do with the G RAIDs? Is there a good way to repurpose them? Should I just keep them as DAS for when projects are too big to run off the QNAP, or can I use them as extra storage?

REPLY – I have no idea. You can’t tie the G-Speeds to the QNAP. What do you mean G-Raids ?
    You mean a G-Speed Shuttle XL ? These are great direct attached storage systems. They will NOT run off the QNAP as extra storage. Want to use them for backup – why not !

I’m also thinking of syncing the QNAP to Backblaze for nightly backups and B2 storage for assets and completed projects, and I have access to an unlimited amount of Google Drive storage.

REPLY – you use QNAP Hybrid Backup Sync to sync the QNAP to Backblaze B2. Try it now, before you get too deep with 20 TB of data. You use the same program – Hybrid Backup Sync to sync to Google Drive. You are always at the mercy of your internet upload speed, no matter what service you work with.

[email protected]

Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    [email protected]

• Jon DeLeon

February 5, 2020 at 12:11 am

Thanks Bob.

So it sounds like RAID 6 is the way to go, at least just for the peace of mind. Performance won’t be an issue?

RE: G-RAID. Should have been more specific. It’s this. Maybe just save these for storing proxy and transcoded files?

We have a fiber connection, so upload approaches a gigabit at times.

Thanks!

• Bob Zelin

February 5, 2020 at 10:16 pm

if you have any more questions – just ask !

Bob

Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    [email protected]

• Jon DeLeon

February 13, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Hi again Bob.

So I’ve got my QNAP TVS-872XT-16G running in RAID 6, and it’s been working great. I’ve got one iMac connected via the TB3/10G adapter and I’m editing directly off the NAS. Are there any additional recommended setup details for best performance? So far it seems good, but I have issues whenever I try to consolidate media into a single library. Files get unlinked, and if I try to relink them, the link won’t “hold”. I get the error icon with red “missing file” notices. The only fix I’ve found is to manually import media back into that library.

Have you experienced this?

Also wondering if in my storage options I should designate the local volume or a DAS RAID for the cache files, if that’s even possible.

Thanks!

QNAP TVS-872XT-16G
    QNQSW12088C
    iMac Retina 5k 2017 (MacOS Catalina)
    Final Cut Pro X

Viewing 11 - 15 of 15 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy