Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums DaVinci Resolve PRORES RAW

• PRORES RAW

Rocio Diaz Perez updated 1 week, 3 days ago 4 Members · 13 Posts
  • Rocio Diaz Perez

January 22, 2023 at 2:49 pm

Hi to everyone! I need help on PRORES RAW 422 12 BITS issue. Since Davinci won’t take this codec native would you recommend:

A- Convert all takes (in which case I wonder what program would you recommend)

B- Is there a way to transcode/consolidate only the material use in the timeline (I’m thinking DNX HQX 422 12 BITS, but I’m not sure with which program, ¿maybe Avid?)

I have a lot of footage. It’s very importante for me not to loose the 12 bits.

Thank’s in advanced and apologize for my english.

Ro.

• Michael Gissing

January 22, 2023 at 10:53 pm

I’ve not tried it and it is Mac software but this seems to be the best solution
    https://www.rawconvertor.com/

If you are on Windows and have Adobe Media Encoder you can get Apple’s plugin to do the file conversion to a suitable DNx codec https://support.apple.com/kb/dl2033?locale=en_US

My personal experience is that I have not seen ProRes RAW files in productions so I haven’t had to deal with this before but I am aware of how to work around if I ever get this codec

• Robert Jackson

January 23, 2023 at 2:06 am
  • Michael Gissing

January 24, 2023 at 12:17 am

have you read thru this document? – ProRes RAW is not a supported codec in Resolve

• Rocio Diaz Perez

January 24, 2023 at 2:27 am

Hi Michael! Thank you so much for your answer, I appreciate you take the time for this. I will definitive be looking raw converter possibilities since I been reserching and adobe media encoder would not be the best way to go. My main idea was transcode/consolidate a sequence in to a 422 12 bits codec. It seems it’s no possible, I always end up with a 444 codec (lots of gb and lost parameters) or a 10 bit file. I feel Cinema DNG it’s the best option but it’s not up to me. I hope davinci eventually brings prores raw support. Thank you!!

• Michael Gissing

January 24, 2023 at 9:22 am

There’s a bit of politics going on. Apple won’t support BRAW and Blackmagic won’t support ProResRAW. The Blackmagic argument is that ProResRAW breaches RED’s patent. Apple doesn’t even explain why they shun BRAW.

• Robert Jackson

January 24, 2023 at 5:48 pm

Licensing

• Michael Gissing

January 25, 2023 at 5:22 am

Apple want a license. BRAW is open source

• Robert Ober

January 27, 2023 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, I’m an Apple kinda guy, but they can be PITA sometimes. The Nvidia conflict is really annoying for those of us with Mac Pros.

I would suggest folks learn ffmpeg. On macOS I use ff-works as an interface to it, but one can do more at the command line. There are Windows GUIs for it as well. It’s a shame that Squeeze and it’s competitors are no longer available. I will not subscribe just to have Media Encoder.

Y’all take care,

Robert

• Rocio Diaz Perez

January 27, 2023 at 4:03 pm

Interesting. Will have to look into it. Have you converted prores raw in ffmpeg? Would you tell me into what? Thank’s in advance.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy