Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems OT: Question for Walter on HD

• OT: Question for Walter on HD

• Marion Laney

November 15, 2005 at 4:51 pm

Wayne,
    Before HD we used several options. The working Viking oven had a shelf that we could mount a Sony PC 5 and then a PC 105. After moving into the stage and recreating the home set I had a GE oven modified to allow shooting from the rear of the set wall. Then I changed to a PD 150 with the mike holder removed to allow clearance to pass completely through the oven.

Now with the HD complication I use a the Varicam with a 4.7 Canon shooting through the rear of the oven. When the 200 comes out I expext to start using it for these shots. Always a moving target šŸ˜‰

Marion Laney
    Director-DP-sometimes Editor
    ideaWercs, inc.
    Atlanta, Ga. USA
    Producing in HD&35mm&SD
    Food Network series “Good Eats” and others.

• walter biscardi

November 15, 2005 at 6:18 pm

And of course Marion also uses the Biscardi Super Plutonium Camera Heat Shield to protect everything from the 350 degrees that oven gets up to. It was ugly to watch those real nice HD lenses melt the first time they tried the oven cam shot. Woo boy! šŸ™‚

y’all know I’m kidding right?

seriously, it’s just a joke.

no lenses were harmed in the making of this post.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

“The Rough Cut,” an original short film premiering December 7th in full High Definition in Atlanta.
    rsvp@biscardicreative.com to reserve seats.
    https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

• Marion Laney

November 15, 2005 at 6:44 pm

WALTER!!!

I was trying to hold onto a couple of “secrets”.

Marion Laney
    ideaWercs, inc.
    Atlanta, Ga. USA
    Producing in HD&35mm&SD

• erik hansen

November 15, 2005 at 10:10 pm

I’ve seen the mention of Good Eats production in HD throughout Walter’s posts, but the question remains… How do I see Good Eats in HD? Is there a Food Network HD broadcast?

Also, the production quality of Good Eats has really, really advanced over the years. Great job Marion, et al.

Best,
    – Erik

• walter biscardi

November 15, 2005 at 10:46 pm

[Erik Hansen]
    I’ve seen the mention of Good Eats production in HD throughout Walter’s posts, but the question remains… How do I see Good Eats in HD? Is there a Food Network HD broadcast?”

It’s not broadcast in HD yet, but soon. As soon as we hear something official, we’ll post it here. All I can tell you is the show just looks fantastic in HD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

“The Rough Cut,” an original short film premiering December 7th in full High Definition in Atlanta.

• Marion Laney

November 15, 2005 at 11:03 pm

Erik,
    As Walter alluded, we are aquiring in DVCPro 100 and posting a HD version but there is not a channel available for viewing. Hopefully, the show will be available in HD via your local cable or sat. provider in the “near” future.

Thanks for the positive viewer/industry feedback. We try to have some fun and create some tasty TV.

Marion

Marion Laney
    ideaWercs, inc.
    Atlanta, Ga. USA
    Producing in HD&35mm&SD

• gary adcock

November 16, 2005 at 12:01 am

[Wayne Carey] “Only 8 min of HD per card….. Come on…. That’s extremely expensive to run. That was the only reason our company didn’t consider Panasonic. “

I am familiar with these cameras and that is not correct,
    it is only 8min when you are shooting 720p60
    at 720p24 the card captures 22 minutes
    2 cards =44 minutes which is more than you can get in a varicam load.

with the read write cycles in the area of 10,000 read writes
    I’m thinking that it looks pretty good to me.

Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

• Mark Maness

November 16, 2005 at 2:32 pm

[Gary Adcock] “I am familiar with these cameras and that is not correct, it is only 8min when you are shooting 720p60 at 720p24 the card captures 22 minutes. 2 cards = 44 minutes which is more than you can get in a varicam load.

with the read write cycles in the area of 10,000 read writes I’m thinking that it looks pretty good to me.”

Ok…. that does sound better but these specs aren’t advertised really well. I do want to appologize for my ignorance on this. But let me ask… what do you do with the footage after it had been aquired and edited. Aren’t the cards a little too expensive to just sit on the shelf? How do you archive the footage? What format do you use for this? These are all of the questions we had when we first saw P2. It sounds great but do you just blow off all of your footage each time you need to use the camera?

That’s the reason why XDCAM looked so good for us. It’s digitally based and disc based. There’s no cueing up to the end of the tape and no way to overwrite what you have taped. Yes, P2 does this also, but XDCAM discs are only $30 each, therefore you can afford to shelve them.

Wayne Carey
    Schazam Productions

• walter biscardi

November 16, 2005 at 2:47 pm

[Wayne Carey] “Aren’t the cards a little too expensive to just sit on the shelf? How do you archive the footage? What format do you use for this?”

Well, you can easily purchase SATA or IDE drives and slap them into Firewire Enclosures to store footage on the shelf. A 500GB SATA drive on Macmall lists for $369. That’s a LOT of footage in either 59.94 or 24 works out cheaper than purchasing the same amount of DVCPro HD tape stock. Just slap the drive into the enclosure, transfer the footage, pull the drive out and store in the original box.

You can also lay off your selects into a single timeline and lay that off to DVCPro HD tape. Of course, the catch there is figuring out how to make the timecode of the original shots match the TC of each shot in the timeline.

You can also purchase the Firestore 100GB drive array when it’s available to shoot a LOT more footage at a pop and again, transfer to another cheaper drive.

I’m also much more partial to the DVCPro HD format than the XDCAM format which from what I understand uses an MPEG-2 format for aquisition which is something I want to avoid until it’s ready to go to DVD.

Archiving footage is the real issue that all of us will have to deal with as productions move to disk based recording. It’s going to be a moving target for a few years yet and anything we propose right now is just a best guess at this point.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Viewing 11 - 19 of 19 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy