Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro › Issue with syncing audio recorded @ 44.1k, and video shot at 48k (23.976 FPS)
-
Issue with syncing audio recorded @ 44.1k, and video shot at 48k (23.976 FPS)
Les Brown replied 14 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
-
Michael Moore
November 11, 2011 at 9:10 pmThat is what I thought. I thought a second was a second and that the band only played at one correct speed.
Presonus Studio One does have a master clock. It isn’t rated in FPS, but in sample rate. From what I am learning 24 FPS (or in my case 23.976) is associated with 48k audio. 44.1 audio would more likely line up with 22.5 FPS (not that 22.5 FPS exists) but that is how I understand it.
On a lot of forums I see people mentioning a drift, and 2:3 pulldowns and all that stuff. My problem is that the clips are obviously the wrong speed. Not a frame here or there, but off by about 9%.
I recorded everything at 44.1, so in my project file it says that S1 (Studio One) as well as my sound card are running at 44.1. If I recorded in 48, then when I went to open up my project file, it would automatically switch over to 48. In short, it is a per-project setting.
-
Jeremy Garchow
November 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm[Michael Moore] “On a lot of forums I see people mentioning a drift, and 2:3 pulldowns and all that stuff. My problem is that the clips are obviously the wrong speed. Not a frame here or there, but off by about 9%. “
Pulldown is only for if you are actually change the speed of the video for a conform. When recording, it shouldn’t matter what frame rate and what sample rate. As long as you haven’t changed the speed on anything, one second of audio is one second of audio.
Now, if the software is changing the speed of whatever reason, then there’s a problem.
-
Les Brown
March 21, 2012 at 4:55 amI realize this is a very old thread, but just in case others stumble across it as I did, I found an easy solution to a similar problem. I had accidentally recorded my main audio for an interview at 44.1 kHz while my camera recorded at 48 khz. So, I created a new project in FCPX with 48 kHz audio. Then I pulled just the audio clip into that new project. I then exported the audio as an aiff and gave it a new name – audio corrected or something like that. I then imported that new file into the Event for that interview and used it to sync all my video clips. Voila. It worked great. Hope this helps someone else.
Reply to this Discussion! Login or Sign Up