Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Creative Community Conversations DV Capture Problems

• DV Capture Problems

• Michael Dominic

July 27, 2021 at 3:07 pm

I am having an impossible time getting DVCAM onto my mac. I have tried two DVCAM decks, three macs, three different capture software, plus several different cables and adapters. Also several different tapes. The result is always the same, the video drops out for several seconds while it is playing perfectly on the deck.

I made a video so you can see the issue…

Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

• Eric Santiago

July 27, 2021 at 3:11 pm

Updated my reply:

Plays back smoothly during ingest but crap on the hard-drive?

What format?

Resolution?

Conform to a PROXY and check again.

• Michael Dominic

July 27, 2021 at 3:17 pm

It’s the same when captured. It breaks up into pieces with gaps. On the deck/camera it is playing smoothly.

• Michael Dominic

July 27, 2021 at 9:16 pm

I didn’t see the other questions. The format is Mini DV and it’s capturing at 480.

What do you mean conform to a proxy?

• Eric Santiago

July 27, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Breaks up as in file size limits?

Sounds odd if the file is captured as DVCAM.

Where are you playing this clip back that causes the pause?

Can you import them in an NLE and place them in a single timeline?

Watch if the clips break with black frames.

Next issue could be timecode but not sure what you are using to capture these.

• Michael Dominic

July 27, 2021 at 9:48 pm

The format is DV/DVCPRO – NTSC. And the files are not usable. Where you see it drop out those sections are missing. And there are no black frames. The video plays fine. Just not to the computer.

• Jeremy Garchow

July 28, 2021 at 12:34 am

What software have you tried? What is the signal path? What else is attached to your machine?

• Michael Dominic

July 28, 2021 at 12:55 am

Premiere (Doesn’t see the decks), iMovie, QuickTime and Life Flix. It’s not the software.

The signal pat is it goes from the deck through the FW cable with an adapter to Thunderbolt. My iMac has HDs connected to it, the two laptops had none.

• Ralph Pascucci

July 28, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Last year I needed to resurrect a bunch of archive recordings, we made for the Boston Symphony, to use in their “virtual summer season”. After a quick rewind/fforward, I played the tapes into a monitor that records to a file card. It’s a hardware codec and less likely to glitch. Any monitor Black Magic, Atomos, etc. should work. If you’re really worried about it, use a frame sync. That should be pretty bulletproof.

• Eric Santiago

July 28, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Not sure what OS you have but wasn’t there news that Apple dropped older codecs?

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy