Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X 4-channel audio, anamorphic settings, and markers anyone?

• Michael Garber

June 28, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Yeah, that’s the real burning question, indeed! Wacky.

• Simon Ubsdell

June 28, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I recommend you check out this great post by Timothy Payton which gives a really clever workaround for separating out your audio stems:

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/100

Feels like a heck of a lot of common procedures need a workaround right now!

Simon Ubsdell
    Director/Editor/Writer
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

• Simon Ubsdell

June 28, 2011 at 8:18 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] “how you’d affect the levels independently of a multi-track clip”

Actually your first suggestion was the right one – what you need to do is to break the clip apart (ShiftCmd/G) and then you’ve got as many of the individual channels as you want, depending on what you’ve selected in the Audio Inspector/Channel Configuration. If you’ve selected 4 Stereo for example, that’s what you’ll get when you break the clip apart on the Timeline, four tracks that can be individually manipulated (trimmed to different lengths, volume adjusted etc.).

But despite its dramatic name “break apart” doesn’t actually break too much – if you want to pack the tracks back up along with the video you can easily make a compound clip (Opt/G).

Thanks, Michael, for asking the question – I’d never have got as far as investigating otherwise!

Simon Ubsdell
    Director/Editor/Writer

• Simon Ubsdell

June 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm

This also got me thinking about how we need to view the relationship between video and audio clips in terms of timecode – in FCP7 we could look at the timecode overlay and see the source code for everything at a glance and in comparison with other tracks (so much better than the Media Composer system where you could only see a very limited amount at a time). There doesn’t seem to be any provision for this kind of thing as yet. For me it’s pretty crucial unfortunately.

Simon Ubsdell
    Director/Editor/Writer

• Michael Garber

June 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] “This also got me thinking about how we need to view the relationship between video and audio clips in terms of timecode – in FCP7 we could look at the timecode overlay and see the source code for everything at a glance and in comparison with other tracks (so much better than the Media Composer system where you could only see a very limited amount at a time). There doesn’t seem to be any provision for this kind of thing as yet. For me it’s pretty crucial unfortunately.”

Yes, I agree. The timecode integration is rather poor at this stage. CTRL-P to change code? No way. Why can’t I just type in the code? Don’t like extra steps for crucial steps in workflow. Also, I *need* a way to show viscode on the clip in the viewer (and hopefully, eventually, the client monitor). Do you know of a way at this time?

Just now, I was looking under the metadata editor to see if I could find a way to modify timecode on a clip and I couldn’t.

In this particular situation, I recorded VO using Pro Tools. I always take handwritten timecode notes on the sides of the paragraphs and circle the takes. I send the AIF to FCP and create a timeline with the timecode starting at 0. However, after I recorded the VO, I noticed after the VO session that my TC in the Pro Tools timeline was set to 15:10:02:00. Not sure how or why but it just… was.

Anyway, no big deal in the FCP 7 world. Just modify the sequence TC that I use for my VO selex and we’re in business. It’s quick. It’s a workaround for not having TC in the AIFF file and it just works. Not so with FCP X. Timecode is at 0. Project timecode is at 0. There are no options that I can find otherwise.

Again, since this is all for the sake of testing, no worries. But just more fuel for the “it’s not ready yet” fire.

Also, this is interesting, my old method for selecting VO was to create 2 tracks in the timeline. I put the entire VO track on V2 and when I find a select I like, blade it and move it to V1.

In FCPX however, I can manually drag a clip up to the “Upper” layer. However, when I hit the keystroke Command-Option-Up Arrow, the clip actually moves the “Lower” layer! Hilarious. I never knew an NLE could be funny ;).

• Michael Garber

June 28, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for that and the CMD-OPT-G, OPT-G method. I’ll try it.

• Gregor Queck

June 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

Last, markers aren’t as robust anymore. That said, adding them in the viewer is delightfully easy to do while playing back footage. But, adding them to the timeline seems to be a pain (given the old method – you could drag a marker into the timeline and it would treat it like a subclip who’s in and out is dictated by the next marker).

the function of the markers is replaced by keywords, thats the new way. there are shortcuts etc. : ‘command-K’.
    i was used to this for subclibbing and i would go mad until i discovered these keywords ;=)
    there is also ‘f’, as described in an other post to mark the selected range of a clip.

• Gregor Queck

June 29, 2011 at 2:46 pm

i forgot, keywords are in some respects better than markers, as u can ‘mark’ overlapping portions of a clip; in contrast to subclips there are no firm boundaries, so u can ripple, roll… all u want. if u make peace with the new way, maybe u will even like it :=)

Page 2 of 2

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy