Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe After Effects Why is AE showing/exporting different colors than the original footage?

• Why is AE showing/exporting different colors than the original footage?

• Jason Morehouse

September 13, 2020 at 3:11 pm

My colorist graded a shot and sent it to me for some basic compositing. (We needed to grade it prior to VFX due to the nature of the shot.)

He sent me one with Rec. 709 color space and another with P3 for the same shot (one for online streaming and the other for theater projection). The Rec. 709 has come out fine but the P3 footage doesn’t look right from the getgo on preview and the export isn’t accurate as well.

I don’t necessarily need the preview on the monitor to reflect the true colors of the footage, but the export having a significantly different color than the original is a problem. I’ve been exporting in ProRes4444.

Can someone explain to me why this is happening as well as a fix? I just need the export to reflect the color of the source footage. Thanks a bunch in advance.

• Andy Ford

September 13, 2020 at 3:27 pm

<div>Here is some info from an Adobe post in 2019, I believe you will find value in the response.</div>https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/exported-video-looks-totally-different-on-youtube-than-in-premiere-or-vlc/td-p/10486551?page=1

• Jason Morehouse

September 13, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Thanks for the link, Andy.

I actually read that post a while back, but my problem isn’t the monitor inaccurately reflecting the footage. I’m not color grading at all in AE. Basically, I’m working with a shot with P3 color space but upon exporting it Prores4444, the color changes. In other words, a video that I didn’t change the colors for at all, changed colors by itself. I brought the footage into AE for some simple compositing of a door. No grading but the colors have significantly changed. 🙁

(Quick note: To clarify a bit more, the new export looks very different than the original on the same player whether it be Quicktime or VLC. The new export reflects the preview on AE.)

• Filip Vandueren

September 14, 2020 at 3:14 pm

What was your working space ?

• Jason Morehouse

September 15, 2020 at 1:29 pm

I had the working space set as none as well as the final export.

I tried changing the working space to image P3 and exporting it. The colors were a bit more like the original but still different. 🙁

• Jason Morehouse

September 17, 2020 at 12:17 pm

I thought if “none” is selected as working space, then the export would reflect the specs of the original footage. I exported a pr4444 file as pr4444 with 32 bpc. Maybe I’m doing something wrong in the final export?

• Chris Wright

September 22, 2020 at 8:28 am

there’s many version of “P3” with different white points. Perhaps a color bars shot preceeding the P3 footage could help narrow down the discrepancy. additionally, video levels vs full levels often get mixed. AE now also has a “view as gamma” feature. Please send a screenshot of your color management settings and view simulate.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy