High-End PC Struggling with After Effects Performance on 4K Multi-Layer Projects
I’m reaching out to this community after a long battle with performance issues in After Effects, hoping for some fresh insights or solutions. Despite running a robust setup, I’ve been experiencing persistent sluggishness and glitches, especially when dealing with multi-layer 4K projects. Below are the details of my system and the challenges I’m facing.
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
- RAM: 64 GB running at 2133 MHz
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-core processor
- Storage: Multiple NVMe SSD drives
- Software: After Effects (latest version, regularly updated)
- Multi-layered 4K compositions
- Source footage: 6 video layers composited together at 2560×1440 each
- Desired output: smooth editing performance
- Even with the powerful hardware above, AE performance is slow and stuttery. Average frame render time is 1-2s.
- Rendering an uncompressed AVI of a 9-minute video is estimated to take 6+ hours, with negligible CPU, GPU, and SSD utilization. (5-10% each resource is being used)
- Occasional frame glitches and micro-stutters are present, which is highly frustrating.
Over the past 7+ years, I’ve tried numerous approaches to resolve these issues – from hardware upgrades to different rendering methods – with no lasting improvements. It feels like the more advanced my setup gets, the less reliable the performance is, which is counterintuitive and contrary to what one would expect with technological advancements.
Could there be a deep-seated compatibility issue? Or perhaps a setting within After Effects or BIOS that I’ve overlooked? I’m at a point where I’m considering switching software or seeking professional IT consultation, but before I take those steps, I wanted to ask here in case anyone has experienced something similar or has suggestions.
Any advice on optimizing After Effects for heavy-duty editing or insights into potential causes for these performance discrepancies would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read and for any guidance you can provide.